Monday, March 29, 2010

The I-Wants

I have the "I Wants."  You know.  I want a vacation.  I want diamond jewelry.  I want a cleaner house.  A trip to Hawaii.  A fabulous Easter dress. Strangely, my "I Wants"  always show up when I-don't-have.   Like today. Right now. I don't have the money for the diamond jewelry, vacation and Hawaii beach house.  I really need to spend my money on other things than new dresses and bracelets and trips.  Things like - brakes on two different cars, income taxes and property taxes. Really boring things.  Things that aren't sparkly or fun. Those kind of things. I don't like those things.  They may be necessary to my daily existence. But I still don't like them.  Sometimes I wish I were more irresponsible.  One of those people who just packs their stuff in a back pack and takes off for adventures across Europe.  Or one of those free spirits who seems to always have whatever they need including jet-setting friends that give them free rides to the Cayman's.  And they just pack their bikini and go.  (They also look really great in a bikini, too.)

The truth is I have NEVER been one of those people.  But today ... for just a few minutes I want to be like them. That's the problem with the I Wants. They make me unsatisfied with what I have.  And actually what I have is still pretty great.  I mean, I do have some nice jewelry and I have been to Hawaii a few times. And I do live in Southern California where the weather happens to be fantastic today and last I checked, there is an ocean - a really nice looking ocean less than an hour away from my house. And I do have cars to drive... even if they do need brakes. And I have my health and my family is healthy. We are also still paying our bills.  A big deal in this economy.  So I guess maybe I need to refocus from my Wants to my Haves.  Sigh.  I don't want to.  I want to complain instead.

6 comments:

  1. I can relate, Peggy! Guess that's what we get for being responsible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Pat!!! Nice to know I am not the only person out here wanting stuff...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh The I wants never really end do they!
    Following along through Follow Friday. Hope you have a second to come on over and follow me!
    http://howtosurvivelifeinthesuburbs.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm stopping by from Friday Follow, I hope you'll follow me back (and if you already are - thank you!)

    Nice to meet you, the couple posts I've read have been interesting and I'm looking forward to reading more....

    Kelly
    http://KellysLuckyYou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. New Follower from Friday follow.

    Mindy
    http://detweilerclan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed your post! That's the very reason I enjoy entering blog contests; when I win something, it's a treat for myself that doesn't impact my budget.

    Following from Friday Follow. Please stop by when you can.

    http://tsue-thatswhatshesaid.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete